Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Passion for Peanut Butter

Dessert of the Month, Southern Living Magazine
 It doesn't surprise me that the day I began my blog was the same day I was trying a new cake recipe for my friend's birthday!  My Mom made this delectable goodness for my recent birthday, and I envision it being something that I make often and pass down for years to come!  My cake may not look as beautiful as the one pictured in the magazine article, but I bet it tastes just as delicious, and let's be honest...that is what matters!

If you have a weakness for peanut butter and even more so for the peanut butter/chocolate combination, than this Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Cake from Southern Living Magazine is not to be missed! 
Amy's Birthday Delicacy
 Peanut Butter Passion Cake
  • (1) 18.25oz package of devil's food cake mix (without the pudding)
  • 2.5 C whipping cream, divided
  • (1) 10oz. package of peanut butter morsels
  • 2 t vanilla extract
  • 1 T Butter or Margarine
  • 2/3 C semi-sweet chocolate morsels
  • Garnish with Roasted Peanuts (optional)
  1. Prepare cake mix according to package directions.  Pour into 2 lightly greased 8-inch round cake pans. Bake according to package directions.  Let cool on wire racks in pan for 10 minutes, remove from pans and cool on wire racks completely.  *Note: I took straight out of the pan and cooled on wire racks with no problem!
  2. Combine 2/3 C whipping cream and peanut butter morsels in a small sauce pan.  Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until morsels melt and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract and let cool 25 minutes.
  3. Beat 1 1/3 C whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.  Stir 1/3 whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture.  Fold into remaining whipped cream.  Spread between the cake layers, cover and chill.  *Note: Make sure the cake layers are completely cool prior to spreading mixture (otherwise it will melt)!  Also, the weight of the cake can cause the peanut butter mixture to seep out of the sides of the cake.  The filling hardens once it is cooled, so don't worry about the top of the cake sliding off of the peanut butter mixture!
  4. Bring remaining 1/2 C of whip cream and 1 T of butter to boil in a small saucepan.  Add chocolate morsels, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.  Stir until morsels melt and mixture is smooth.
  5. Pour glaze over cake and garnish with peanuts if desired.   Eat it warm or chilled BUT make sure you have some ice cream or milk available to balance out the rich flavor of the chocolate and sweetness of the peanut butter!!

Please note, instead of using the pre-packaged cake mix as described in the recipe, I made a chocolate cake from scratch using a recipe passed down from my great-grandmother.  It will work with your favorite Chocolate Cake recipe, so don't hesitate to start from scratch!

 Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Funny story about the chocolate cake recipe I used for this cake...
    When the recipe was passed down to me via email, the "passer" happened to leave out a key ingredient called baking powder. It's so interesting how ONE ingredient can change an entire dessert (and how dense a cake without baking powder can be)! You win some and you lose some I suppose...
    Did I mention I cook more than I bake?
    Either way, I promise the recipe included in this blog is a sure thing and you can't go wrong (fingers crossed)! Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really need to be careful who you get recipes from...

    ReplyDelete