Monday, June 20, 2011

Home Sweet Home

As I am sure you have already noticed, the getaway portion of my blog is not dedicated solely to getaways I have experienced, but it is an inspiration board of places I dream of visiting someday.  Yes, I am a dreamer and No, I do not think I will get to explore every place I write about.  Being able to do so would not only require a significant amount of time and money, but would also require a certain level of sacrifice I could never commit to in this lifetime.

Don't get me wrong, the places I write about are definitely places I hope to visit someday, but the realist in me knows that won't be possible and after this past weekend I know I will always be happy as long as I can dream about the rest of the world (and see portions of it of course).  I love food.  I love traveling and exploring new places.  BUT most importantly and more than anything, I love my family, my home, my friends.

This weekend I had a mini reunion with 4 friends I have known since I could process memories, and had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with my parents, grandma and nephews.  It was an amazing weekend full of laughter, relaxation and genuinely good company, and it reminded me that a trip back to where you were born and time spent with the family and friends you love is the best getaway of all.  My idea of a getaway is any time away from the regular demands of life.  It is a time to relax, to try new things, to laugh, forget about your worries and smile....there is definitely A LOT of smiling involved.  The kicker is, a getaway can happen across an ocean, over a mountain pass, or just an hour drive away.

I don't blog because I think I am going to have hundreds of followers or because I think Gourmet Getaway is going to change my life somehow.  I share my recipes and dream vacations here because I want it to inspire people, not so that people can enjoy these things alone, but so they can share my recipes and travels with their friends and families.  After all isn't conversation over a delicious dinner and vacations with your loved ones some of the most memorable experiences you have in a lifetime?


Gourmet can be mac and cheese to one person and caviar to another.  A getaway could be a camping trip to some, or a two week stay on a private island for others.  This blog won't provide a clear example of what is gourmet and what is a getaway....but it will provide you with a lot of reasons to spend time with people you care about, and in the end that is the best getaway of all!

Bon Voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment