Thursday, June 9, 2011

Caribbean Cliffside Cottage

Given my wedding is in less than 3 months (Yay!!) I recently spent a solid amount of time researching potential honeymoon destinations.  In the process of honeymoon planning, I found and absolutely fell in love with two dream destinations:  Dominica (which you will soon fall in love with) and Paraty, Brazil (which you will fall in love with in the near future...watch for my upcoming Paraty post)! 

Prepare yourself to dream about your next vacation, and let me tell you about Dominica.  Keep in mind I have never actually been there, but I will do my best to get there someday.

I found a new friend in National Geographic Traveler and find it to be my favorite of all travel magazines.  One day I was reading an article about Caribbean Resorts and came across a blurb about Jungle Bay Resort and Spa.  Jungle Bay Resort and Spa  The photo below is what caught my attention and additional research allowed Dominica and this Resort to grab my heart and never let go.
Photo From Jungle Bay Resort Website
Not only does the room look incredible, but look around the Jungle Bay Resort Website and you will soon discover that you want to transport yourself there as soon as possible.
 These cottages are perched high above the Atlantic and nestled into the rainforest of picturesque Dominica.  Imagine falling asleep at night, surrounded by the unspoiled beauty of "Nature Isle of the Caribbean" and listening to the Atlantic tide crash up against the hillside on which you are sleeping.  Or wake up to the ocean breeze as you relax on the hammock on the private porch connected to your room.  Are you in love yet?

Photo by Justin Foulkes (from NG Website)
 Whether you want to hike three hours one way to the Boiling Lake, seek out the hidden waterfalls that fall into Dominica's 365 rivers, watch whales or hike through the tropical rainforests...outdoor lovers and adventure seekers rejoice!

 I see the mountainous island of Dominica as being a prime vacationing spot for people interested in a getaway that doesn't require the need to be "touristy" but provides bountiful activities beyond laying in the sun and sipping on a cocktail garnished with a colorful umbrella (although I highly suggest that as well)!  Make note though, the rugged landscape of Dominica isn't one to offer an abundance of exceptional white sand beaches...plan on sipping that cocktail on top of a dormant volcano instead!
Boiling Lake (Photo from RumShopRyan.com)
 National Geographic recently named Dominica as one of the 20 Best Trips of 2011 and I wouldn't argue with them for a second.  I truly hope I can visit Dominica sometime in the near or distant future...as long as I figure out a way to get there at some point!

Additional Websites I Enjoyed Reading:

Also, check out this interesting Travel + Leisure article on economic growth in Dominica while the locals continue to focus on conserving the environment and remaining an eco-tourism destination.



Oh, and just so you know, Lucas and I won't be going to Dominica on our honeymoon mostly due to a lack of United flights to the Caribbean (but people with American Airlines miles could be in luck)!!  Either way, we found and booked what could be a perfect trip for an ideal Caribbean honeymoon on the small islands of St. Kitts and Nevis, with a detour through St. Thomas on the way home.  I imagine I will have a lot to share about those destinations, so stay tuned!
Bon Voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment