Monday, June 13, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner: Huevos Rancheros

This weekend I planned on making at least one big breakfast, but homebrewing and a beautiful day that begged for a long bike ride and silly lawn games occupied my mornings instead of cooking.  To compromise, Luke and I decided having breakfast for dinner on Sunday would suffice, so I tried my hand at Huevos Rancheros!

I found two recipes that sounded delicious, one in The World Cookbook and one in Real Simple Magazine, so I took the best of both worlds and combined them to make a dish that fit my tastes (baking vs. frying, black beans vs. refried beans, and a homemade tomato salsa vs. regular salsa). 
The result was tasty (although Lucas still wishes I had used refried instead of black beans)!

Huevos Rancheros
Ingredients
 - 4 flour tortillas
- Olive Oil
- (1) 14oz. can of black beans, drained
- 1T lime juice
- 1/2 t Cumin
- (1) 10oz. can of diced tomatoes with chilis (*I used Rotel)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 small white onion, chopped
- 4 eggs
- (1) avocado, sliced
- Feta cheese (*Queso Fresco is a delicious Mexican cheese I would have used, but we didn't have it)
- Cilantro
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In bowl, mix together black beans, 1 T olive oil, lime juice and cumin.  Set aside.
  3. Brush each tortilla with olive oil (front and back) and place on baking sheet.  Place in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until slightly crispy.
  4. Meanwhile, use a small food processor to mix together Rotel, garlic, and onion until well blended but slightly chunky.  
  5. Heat 1-2 T olive oil in a large frying pan and add tomato mixture.  Stirring constantly, heat mixture for about 5 minutes until warmed through and slightly thicker.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
  6. Using the same frying pan, heat another 1T of olive oil over medium heat and carefully crack eggs into pan, leaving yolk intact!  Reduce heat to low and cook eggs for about 5 minutes until egg white becomes a snow white color.  You can either carefully flip the egg to cook both sides, or leave the egg sunnyside up....chef's choice!  Don't stress if you break a yolk, it will still taste delicious but will be more thoroughly cooked.
  7. Once eggs are cooked, assemble your Huevos Rancheros!  Divide and spread the tomato mixture among the baked tortillas followed by the black bean mixture.  Place one egg on each tortilla and then top it off with avocado, feta cheese and cilantro.  Serve immediately and enjoy!
I am sure I will make this again, and when I do I will either use smaller tortillas (and make more than 4) or I will make more eggs and place two eggs on each tortilla.  I enjoyed the serving size because I wasn't terribly hungry, but it wouldn't hurt to make a little more the next time around.  Another idea for people that enjoy some extra spice in their life: smother the top of the assembled Huevos Rancheros with additional salsa or add a touch of hot sauce!

I hope you enjoy!   
Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment