Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ham and Peach Panini


This delight comes from Southern Living Magazine.  With peaches at their prime, the magazine had a section with all sorts of ideas for peaches, everything from desserts to drinks to dinners.  My friend Amy and I were so excited about the peach recipes, we took it from my Mom and took pictures of the recipes we wanted to make for the week.  This, of course, was after we made peach mojitos to enjoy with our hubbys. 

This panini made me realize two things.
1. I need to use my panini press grill/griddle more often.  What a delightful kitchen tool!

Photo from mamliga.com
2. More importantly, I desperately wish peach season was forever and ever....even through the winter.  If I had the room, I would dedicate a separate freezer solely to storing peaches to enjoy year round.  Alas, I do not have said freezer, so I suppose I will eat as many peaches as possible during the short time they are in season each year.  Mmmmm mmmm mmmmm.

On the contrary, my current freezer is loaded with tupperware after tupperware of not peaches, but ham.  My husband and I made a ham a while back for lunch meat, and since there are only two of us and I don't eat sandwiches for lunch all the time, we have lots of ham that still needs consuming.  You can't even imagine my excitement when I saw this recipe for Ham and Peach Paninis. 

The flavors are delciously balanced between the sweetness of the peaches, the saltiness of the ham, and the sharp and tangy taste of the mustard.  It is a treat and one was filling enough for dinner.  Definitely worth the try....and so easy to assemble!!


Ham and Peach Panini
Ingredients:
Note - the amount of ingredients you use depends on how many sammy's you want to make.  Use your discretion about how much meat, cheese, mustard, etc. you want on your panini.  You know what you like!!

Country Ham-and-Peach Panini Recipe
Photo from Southern Living Website
  • Your favorite sandwich bread (ciabatta, crusty bread, something that holds together well)
  • Honey Mustard (or Dijon Mustard*)
  • Freshly Ground Pepper
  • Sharp White Cheddar Cheese (I would think provolone or mozzarella would also be good)
  • Ham
  • Peaches (2 peaches made 4 paninis)
  • Butter (or olive oil)
  •  *Honey - if using dijon mustard
Directions:
  1. Assemble sandwich
  2. Grill
Just kidding...
  1. Spread mustard on both pieces of sliced bread you want to use on your panini.  If using dijon mustard, add honey at this point.
  2. Sprinkle fresh cracked pepper over the mustard.
  3. Place sliced cheese on one slice of bread and place ham on the other slice of bread.
  4. Place peaches on one side of the sandwich and then press the two slices of bread together so all the wonderful fillings are nestled against one another (at this point, this resembles a sandwich).
  5. Brush both sides of the panini with butter (or olive oil).
  6. If using a panini press, place sandwich between press and grill until golden brown on both sides and cheese melty.  If using a pan, heat the pan over medium heat and grill one side of the panini.  When that side is browned, flip it over and grill the other side.  Sometimes covering the pan with the lid helps the cheese to get nice and melted.
  7. Consume and thank me later!!!!
Bon Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment