Saturday, September 15, 2012

Frozen Peanut Butter Banana Bites dipped in Chocolate

I just put these in the freezer but I am so excited about them I had to start writing this post immediately.  I am hoping these one bite desserts will be the perfect way to satiate my palate after dinner.  As long as you can limit yourself to one or two you don't have the guilt of a full dessert!
This was one of the first recipes I "pinned" and I am finally getting around to trying them.  Thank goodness for finding these treats on Nom Nom Nom Blog!

Everyone knows that peanut butter and bananas, and peanut butter and chocolate are heavenly combinations and banana and chocolate isn't so bad itself, so the three of these combined in one little frozen bite of goodness has got to be just about the next best thing to sliced bread.  Forget that, they are definitely better than sliced bread (and you all know I highly respect and love bread)!

These were so easy to throw together.  A little time consuming to get them dipped in chocolate, and then of course the wait time to allow them to freeze...it's almost more than my self control can handle, but truly these are not rocket science and are so delicious.
YUMMY!

Frozen Peanut Butter Bites Dipped in Chocolate
Ingredients:
  • 2 ripe bananas (spotted with brown but not banana bread ripe)
  • Your favorite peanut butter
  • 1/2 C chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
  • 2T milk
Directions:
1. Cover a cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper.

2. Slice each banana into even slices, about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and place on a plate.

3. Using a knife, spread peanut butter over the top of each banana slice so the whole top of the slice is covered.

4. Mix the chocolate chips and milk in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 15 second increments, stirring after every 15 seconds until the chocolate is melted and the consistency is smooth.  You don't want this to be super thick (like a frosting) but you don't want chocolate milk either.  The chocolate will begin to set as it cools, but adjust the chocolate chip and milk ratio as you heat and melt the chocolate until it seems like a good consistency for dipping.
 5. Dip each slice of banana into the melted chocolate peanut butter side up.  I used a fork to transfer from the plate to the melted chocolate, used a spoon to help cover the slice, and then switched back to the fork to move the slice from the bowl to the cookie sheet. The fork was nice because the extra chocolate could drip back into the bowl rather than having all the excess chocolate on the cookie sheet if you were to use the spoon.  Do whatever is easiest for you.

6. Once all slices are dipped and on the cookie sheet, transfer to the freezer and leave there until each slice is fully frozen.  The timing will vary based on many factors, so just keep checking.  Two to three hours is probably the fastest they will freeze.  Remove tray from freezer, place slices into a airtight container, pop one or two in your mouth and freeze the rest until you want one!
    
I know I will make these again and there are two things I will try.  First, I need to put slightly more peanut butter on each slice and second, I will try to have cleaner "dips."  My chocolate took FOREVER to freeze completely and I think that may have been my issue.  Even though the chocolate is still a little messy, these gems are going to be made many a times in the future of our residence.

Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Since I love these ingredients, I just made these...delicious!! Thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you made them!! I hear they are nice study snacks in grad school. =)
      Hope all is well!

      Delete