Thursday, September 20, 2012

3-Grain Breakfast Porridge with Fruit and Walnuts

Props to theKitchn for putting this next recipe online, so someone could pin this recipe so I could then admire and pin the recipe and then make it not once, but twice!!  The original recipe from theKitchn is made with blueberries and hazlenuts and was intriguing to me for so many reasons.  Keep reading to find out why I plan on making this breakfast porridge time and time again in our house (and to get the recipe)!
Reasons why you should try this recipe and then keep it around your house for years to come:
1. Delicious, obviously.
2. An unexpected twist to breakfast, and yes, sometimes I think it is nice to switch up the routine.
3. Makes mornings easier.  Don't get me wrong, I love taking my time in the morning, having a cup of coffee with my husband while we eat breakfast and peruse the offerings of the interwebs BUT this porridge is a healthy meal you can eat at home or on the run.  Don't let the "serve cold" part throw you...The Kitchn wasn't lying to me when it stated to eat this cold and allow time for all the flavors to come together as it chills in the fridge overnight.  These people definitely know what they are talking about!
4. You can switch it up!! The first time I made this I used blueberries, the second time I used peaches and both tasted amazing!!  Other than the melon family and vegetable fruits,  I can't think of many fruits that wouldn't work in this grain salad, so you can mix it up to use what is in season or on sale at the store.
5. Healthy, healthy, healthy.  Let me tell you, nothing wakes you up to what you are putting in your cake hole than taking a nutrition class.  When you learn all about fiber, and fats, and protein, and high fructose corn syrup, and ulcers and every bodily function you can imagine, you start paying a bit more attention to what you eat.  I have always considered myself a healthy eater, but now I find myself examining nutrition labels and trying to increase and decrease certain aspects of my diet.  Which is why I decided to make this breakfast porridge over the weekend for the second time.  Check out all the health in this breakfast:
  • Quinoa, Steel Cut Oats and Millet - these are so high in fiber, and low in cholesterol and fat.  They are good sources of protein, good sources of iron, they make you feel full, they give you energy and they are rich in nutrients as well.  Yes please!!  (Plus, these are less processed then some other grains such as quick cooking oatmeal).
  • Fruit is good for you
  • Greek Yogurt - low in calories and a good source of calcium, and also provides protein.  I stick with non-fat plain Greek yogurt cause fat content can definitely get high here
  • Maple Syrup - I pretend this ingredient disappears into the goodness of the other ingredients, so no sweat....this provides deliciousness!!
  • Ginger - aids in digestion and also a good source of minerals
  • Lemon - aids in digestion and is also high in fiber
  • Walnuts - since these are one of my few sources of omega-3 fatty acids, sign me up!  Plus, even though they are high in fat...it's the good kind!  You could also get away with adding some ground flaxseed to increase the omega-3 fatty acids in this dish.  I learned yesterday that although fish are the first source, flaxseed is the next best source of omega-3 fatty acids, and omega-3 fatty acids are an area where most American's are deficient in their diet.  Let me know if you want to hear more about why these are so good for you and I can regurgitate information from my class!
Hopefully in my brief and unprofessional analysis of the ingredients in this recipe, I have convinced you this recipe is worth it.  I have made the full recipe and I have halved the recipe and both ways work well.  The full recipe makes a SIGNIFICANT amount, so if you are making this for one person I suggest halving it to make sure it won't go bad.  Half is also good for two people for two to three days.  For some perspective, the full recipe lasted my husband and I about five days and the half recipe was enough for each of us to have two bowls.

Ingredients:
  • 3 T olive oil, divided
  • 1 C steel cut oats
  • 1 C quinoa
  • 1/2 C hulled millet  *Note - on all of these grains you can make substitutions.  The first time I used rolled oats because I only had 1/2 of the suggested amount of steel cut oats and I used puffed millet (Kashi 7 grain cereal) instead of the hulled millet.  It was still delicious both ways.
  • 1 inch knob of ginger, peeled, cut into large discs (you need to fish them out of the grains later)
  • Lemon juice (the original recipe calls for lemon zest and juice, but I have never put forth that much effort and it still tastes delicious)
  • 4 1/2 C water
  • 1/2 C maple syrup
  • 1 C non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 t nutmeg
  • 1 C blueberries or peaches or fruit of your choice (I think berries would work best overall)
  • Walnuts or favorite nut for topping
Directions:
  1. Heat 1 T of the olive oil in a medium/large saucepan over medium-high heat
  2. Add grains to the olive oil and heat for 2-3 minutes.  They will smell nice and toasty (but don't let 'em burn!)
  3. Once grains are slightly toasted, add 4.5 C water, ginger discs, and a healthy squirt of lemon juice - roughly 2 tablespoons (kinda guessing here)
  4. Bring this mixture to a boil, cover, turn heat to a simmer and cook on low for 20 minutes
  5. Transfer the grains to a large bowl. At this point, remove the large pieces of ginger (these are kinda spicy if you leave them in and may be unpleasant to bite into at breakfast time).  The first time I made this I minced the ginger a bit small and it tasted okay but was much gingery-er.  Once in the bowl, allow the grains time to cool.  I usually get impatient and only let them get to warm before continuing and it hasn't hurt anyone
  6. While the grains are cooling, mix the last 2 tablespoons of olive oil, another tablespoon or so of lemon juice and whisk until this gets bubbly.  Then add in your Greek yogurt, maple syrup and nutmeg and stir this creamy mixture together.
  7. Once your grains have cooled, pour the yogurt mixture into the grains and mix together
  8. Mix in your fruit of choice
  9. Put in the fridge and allow to cool overnight for your enjoyment in the morning, or for lunch or dinner.  To each his own!
  10. Eat cold (I promise it is good)!!!  When you dish yourself a bowl, top the grains with walnuts or the nut of your choice...trust me, this is key.  The original recipe mixes them in at the beginning with everything else (and also toasts the nuts) but I chose to skip the toasting and add them each time I had breakfast so they didn't get soggy.
Give this one a try.  You won't regret it!!!


Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment