Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Sick of Bananas? Never!!

I haven't blogged recently for reasons I can type about later, but here is a note about my love of bananas and some banana trivia in the meantime:

When I began this journey at the beginning of the summer, I was sitting in the office of the company I work for and waiting to find out what the tour was promoting.  As soon as they said the word "bananas,"  I was tickled with joy!  You must be thinking how strange I am, but I truly love me some bananas.  Prior to the tour I ate a banana nearly every morning - on cereal, over oatmeal, in a smoothie, and the like.  Unless I cooked myself some eggs, you can bet there was a banana with my meal.  I loved bananas so much that I actually became upset with my husband one morning when he ate the last banana before I had a chance to eat breakfast.   "You know I eat bananas every morning and you never eat bananas and NOW you decide to eat the LAST BANANA?!?!"... Looking back I realize how ridiculous this sounds, but at the time I felt like my world was spinning out of control.

So when I began this tour I was thrilled to be promoting something I believe in and love.  Healthy and delicious bananas.  My fear, however, was that this love would fade.  Everyone kept saying, "You are going to be sooooo sick of bananas by the end of the summer."

Compliments of Google Images
Well, I am here to tell you this.  I was denied a banana three days ago when the hotel where we stayed ran out of this beloved fruit.  My oatmeal was not nearly as enjoyable as it would have been.  So no, I am not over bananas, nor will I ever be.  I actually enjoy them just as much, if not more than I did before I left.  Now that is what I call true love (see photo).





And to help you grasp the wonders of this amazing fruit, here is some banana facts for you!!
  • Lots of people love bananas!  Over 90% of homes in America buy bananas each week.
  • Bananas are the number 1 sold item in stores (not just in produce, but allllllll items).
  • The average person eats 28 lbs. of bananas in one year (I probably eat more).
  • There are over 1,000 varieties of bananas but only 1/2 of them are edible.
  • Are bananas grown on a tree?  No!  They are the fruit of an herbaceous plant.
  • A single banana is called a finger and a bunch of them are called a hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment