Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Glimpse Into the Long Hauls


Yet again, I feel like I have slacked on the writing.  It seems I have all the time in the world and then one thing leads to another and I realize it has been weeks since I posted!  I have many things I want to write about, but the thousands of thoughts and experiences I have are still deciding how they need to come out in written form.


A note about our drives.
Our long hauls on the road is best described with a list and an inside look:

Loud - between the rattling truck, an occasional whistle from the door, the sound of the fan and vent attempting to cool us off and the radio (turned high enough for both driver and passenger to be able to hear) - it can be noisy at times.  Plus, there are some great acoustics, so occasionally we sing (and dance).  If anyone has heard Lucas sing, it can also be described as "loud."  I say this out of love.


Long - When you are jumping cities across the country, no drive in a truck feels short.  Plus, gas station stops aren't quick by any stretch of the imagination.

Iowa Scenery (and a banana pretending to be an ear of corn)
Comfortable vs. Uncomfortable - There is tons of leg and arm room, yet no arm rests.  The seats are quite comfortable, yet they can not recline.  We have our own desk built in to the truck, so that is pretty cool.  Comfort level is also largely dependent on the temperature outside.  We essentially sit in a fish bowl.  Although I love the leg room, I have a thing for arm rests, so it is a touch and go situation whether or not I am comfortable.

Scenic - We have literally seen it all - desert, forests, beaches, lakes, cities, small towns, Mexico (no I am not joking), rivers, neighborhoods, sunrise, sunset, interesting billboards, not so interesting billboards, cornfields, almond and walnut trees, farms, and of course a whole lot of pavement.

 

 


So sometimes we are slap happy, sometimes we are silly, sometimes we are exhausted, and for the most part we think we are crazy.  But the long hauls are really fun and have made me realize how much I truly enjoy simply being with Lucas and making our way across the country together.  Nothing is ever certain or predictable, and the drive can be bumpy at times, BUT the long hauls are awesome, simply because we get to do them together.


No comments:

Post a Comment