Tuesday, June 18, 2013

On Dreams...


It definitely is true that you dream about things you surround yourself with each day.  For the first couple weeks of this tour, we have had plenty of dreams about our food truck and of course some bananas!
A few mornings we wake to stories such as these:

1. Lucas woke up in our San Francisco Suite at the Mill B&B in Bend, OR and was convinced we were in fact sleeping in the back of our food truck.  I suppose that will happen to us a fair amount this summer since we will be hotel hopping weekly (and sometimes every couple of days).

2. Another dream of Luke’s included us parking our food truck along a building, not in a nice parallel parking fashion, but rather scraping and grinding our way into a parking spot so the whole side of the truck was flush against the wall.  Thank goodness the beautiful banana man graphic wasn’t damaged, but he refused to move the truck for fear we would peel the graphic right off!

3. A week ago I had a brilliant dream that I think had to do with banana obstacle courses or some sort of military banana test, but unfortunately, that one has slipped my mind.  Grrrrrr…I hate it when that happens!

4. In Sacramento, I had a dream in which we faced a terrible problem!  We were driving to our event and were loading in the truck, but as we approached the field where we were setting up, the road ended and we stopped at a cliff that dropped down to the event below.  We clearly couldn’t drive our food truck over the cliff like every other person did to attend the event (What?!?!) and we had to find a solution to this problem!  Luckily, I found a semi-lift that we could use, but it was packed with cardboard boxes and another truck!  How could we use this apparatus if it was already being used, and how would we set up for the event in time?!?! Oh no!!  I then proceeded to call essentially every person I have ever worked with during my office time at AMG because as event people, they clearly would have the answer to this cliff dilemma!

5.  My favorite dream so far combines a space shuttle launch video I watched with the third graders I taught this past spring, and the highlight of this summer….bananas!  My dream went something like this…
I was watching a live feed of a space shuttle launch and was thrilled to be showing a group of people how the video was showing the speed and altitude of the space shuttle.    This part of the dream coincides nicely with that video I watched with the students during my student teaching…but THEN…
…the video showed the boosters or rockets falling off the space shuttle, and a parachute floating to the ground.  Low and behold, THIS GUY, Mr. Reggae Banana (pictured right) was riding the parachute to the ground.  The parachute was a giant blue and hot pink fabric (oddly similar to our food truck) and this banana man was rocking out to some Calypso as he made his way back to earth from space. 
I feel as though I floated alongside him for a while, concerned about his safe landing (maybe because we have been moving bananas around and hearing how careful you need to be with them because they are so fragile during growth, harvesting, and distribution)…but that part is a bit hazy. 

Feel free to interpret any of the above as you see fit.  All I can think of is that we are constantly touching, tasting, seeing, and smelling bananas – thus our banana dreams…

No comments:

Post a Comment