Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Day in Seattle

The Pike Place Fish Co, aka Fish Flingers
I didn't have much time to do it, but I managed to be touristy while in Seattle and What a GREAT Day it was!  Unfortunately, Lucas had to work, so I explored Seattle solo, but I met some wonderful people and had such a fabulous time!  Some highlights are below, but I definitely would love to come back to see some other areas of Washington in the future!

Pike Place Market
I could spend hours walking around the market.  Between the flinging fish and the flourishing flowers, I was so pleased walking around, sampling, and seeing so many different talented artists, farmers, fish flingers and so on.  They truly have everything at the market and it is no wonder it is such an attraction.
The Peel the Love truck even made an appearance (a drive by to pick me up)! 


I spent the whole morning at Pike Place Market and managed to get lost multiple times.  It is a bit of a maze and I would go up a set of stairs and come down somewhere completely different.  Wandering leads to new discoveries! One such discovery was the garlic spears pictured on the right.  They look like asparagus with a clove of garlic at the top and apparently taste like a mix of asparagus and artichoke with a hint of roasted garlic flavor.  The woman said the season is so short, they aren't something you see all the time, but I hope to try it sometime soon.  Too bad I don't have an actual kitchen!
Another discovery was the chile pepper and garlic decor I stumbled across at a fruit stand pictured below.  It couples as decor and a place to dry peppers, plus it is beautiful!  Had I not been traveling in a food truck all summer, I definitely would have taken one with me.  Don't worry, I got their card so I can order one in the future!  

A French Bakery - I didn't indulge, but I had to get a pic of that bread!
Guess what this is??  Fresh Cheese!  From Beechers on Pike Street.  The samples were yummy!

I also stumbled across a true Carmalt gem.  A map store with more maps than you could ever imagine.  Hiking maps, traveling maps, antique maps, globes, puzzle maps, map cards....it was truly a Carmalt dream.  If you haven't figured it out yet, Carmalts love maps (and many of them basically have all major roads in the U.S. memorized...).  I was SO sad Lucas wasn't with me to appreciate this find, because as a Carmalt via marriage, I haven't quite found the same map passion as the rest of the family. (But I am working on it)!!

The Original Starbucks
So I had two easy goals in mind.  1. Get coffee at the Original Starbucks and 2. Walk around Pike Market.  I got to the market and my first stop was Starbucks.  It had a beautiful interior with a great chalkboard menu and a wall of coffee bags from various countries.  What a hit!  I ordered a tall Pike Place Reserve since it is only available at the market.  All I could think the whole time is, how is this place not more crowded?  I texted my Dad a picture and he was so proud of my life decision to enjoy coffee at the Original.

Fast forward two hours.  After lunch I overhear a man giving a couple some directions to the Original Starbucks...down the hill (but I had come from the Starbucks up the hill...).  Oops!!  Wrong Starbucks! I clarified directions and thought, DANG!  I didn't even get coffee from the Original.  I needed to go though, so I went by to see it.  The line was out the door, cardboard boxes became the window and wall decor - I imagine because it is so swamped all day they can't stock product fast enough - and it was not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the faux Original that I clearly mistook for the real deal.  All in all, I am glad I went by - but head to the Starbucks on 1st. Ave.  I enjoyed it ten times more than the Original!

Underground Tour
So I went under the streets of Seattle and learned all about the original city and the way it was rebuilt after the fire of 1988.  It was really interesting and a great way to waste an hour - but maybe not worth the $16.  One thing I did love learning about was the skylights that were built in the old buildings, that now are part of the sidewalks of Seattle.  I had noticed the purple glass in the sidewalk as I was walking in Pioneer Square earlier in the day, and here I come to find out it use to be sky lights from the old buildings!  So cool.  As we were underground learning about it, people were walking above us and I was convinced the sidewalk was going to fall through and kill everyone below.  But it was fascinating and beautiful in an underground, musky, rat infested tunnel sort of way.  =)
The tour was close to an end, and I started day dreaming about The Crumpet Shop I had seen in the Market earlier in the day, so I ditched the tour early and hustled up to The Crumpet Shop before it closed at 3:30.

The Crumpet Shop
I arrived to the shop at 3:20 and low and behold, they stop selling fresh crumpets at 3:00!  Such a disappointment...I really could have gone for some high tea and crumpets and pretended like I was British at that point in the afternoon.  All that was left of that days crumpets was a four pack of plain crumpets to take home.  The person selling the crumpets did a great job marketing them...
"They are made with water, flour, salt and yeast.  They are pretty plain and spongey which is why we sell them with savory sandwiches and breakfast sandwiches."  Wow lady- you must really love crumpets since you are telling me they are bland and terrible...
Determined to try them and ignoring the lackluster sales pitch, I bought them for breakfast the next day.
Holy Smokes!  They are delicious!  Toasted with some butter and jam.  I am officially a crumpet fan!

WINE TASTING
After getting my crumpets and walking along a super touristy waterfront, I couldn't decide what to do for two hours before the truck could come pick me up, THEN I remembered the Truffle Shop I had visited earlier that had cheap wine tastings.  Yes Please!  It was 5:00 in Colorado!

I headed back to the truffle shop and had the most delightful wine tasting with a woman named Anne.  She filled me in on how great truffles are, why they are so expensive and how she ended up at the truffle shop sampling wines after  going back to school to study wine when her kids were older.  She was so friendly and she loved hearing about my adventure too!  On a separate note, she mentioned that she has competitive dinner parties with her friends which sounded right up my alley. Amy - I gave her the sgiorppino recipe to bust out at her next dinner party - guaranteed to be a hit!
The wine tasting was 3 pours - but she gave me 6!  She had to take a call about having a tasting for some truffle-loving chefs from Tokyo and she felt bad for keeping me waiting.  Fine by me!

The wines and the company was fantastic and it was such a nice way to end the day.  One of the Washington Wines was a red blend - super delicious - and this was the back of the label.  I found it fitting given my current summer employment!  I also had a woman tell me yesterday that you need to take every adventure you possible can, and Lucas and I certainly are living one out right now.

Missing everyone but loving this crazy adventure!

Life is Short, 
Take a Chance...
Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment