Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Whirley-Pop Kettle Corn


 Step 1 - Make sure you own a Whirley Pop.  Not just so you can enjoy this AmAzInG Kettle Corn, but so you can ditch the microwave popcorn and opt for homemade stove top popcorn instead.  Whirley-Pop popcorn is just as easy as microwave popcorn and 75,000 times more delicious (maybe even more).  Plus, popcorn is healthier than other dessert options, and there are so many varieties in how you can flavor your popcorn!
If you already own a Whirley-Pop...Congratulations!!  You have made a solid life choice. If you don't own a Whirley-Pop, go to Bed, Bath and Beyond right now and buy one.  It's worth the $20.

I usually add oil and a little salt to my popcorn, simple and delicious.  However, I am drawn to kettle corn.  Whenever I am at a fair or festival, I can smell kettle corn from a mile away and am guaranteed to get a bag of fresh popped kettle corn, straight out of the kettle, whenever the opportunity presents itself.  I blame my Mom...she has the same addiction.
Gooey Kettle Corn Deliciousness

Anyway, this recipe provides the same satisfaction as the kettle corn from the fair.  We don't make it often, typically sticking to the simple oil and salt, but man-o-man is it a happy day when we choose to make kettle corn instead.  It all depends on if you want sweet and salty, or straight up salty.  Either way, this recipe is delicious.  I imagine we will make this well into the future, and will probably pass along the kettle corn addiction to future children (and their friends) the same way my mom passed along her addiction to me.

Whirley-Pop Kettle Corn
Technically this recipe serves 8 unsatisfied people, but it is best shared between 2 people (trust me)

Ingredients:
Only 3 ingredients + a Whirley-Pop!!!
  • 1/2 C popcorn kernels
  • 2 T oil (canola or olive)
  • 3 T sugar
  • 1/2 t salt (you can use more salt, but I found 1 teaspoon of salt to be a bit too salty.  Somewhere between 1/2 t and 1 t is probably best)
Directions:
I recommend having everything measured out prior to starting, and placing the popcorn kernels, sugar and salt in one bowl because you will add it all at one time and need to do so quickly.

  1. Pour oil into your Whirley-Pop along with two to three individual popcorn kernels
  2. Heat over medium-high heat until 1 of the 2-3 kernels pop.  This let's you know the oil is hot enough to get started.
  3. Quickly open the lid and pour the 1/2 C kernels, sugar and salt into the Whirley-Pop and begin cranking the handle on the Whirley-Pop.  While cranking, I also sometimes give the Whirley-Pop a bit of a shake to make sure the sugars and popcorn aren't sticking to the bottom. There is the option of having someone change the heat from low to high to low to high while cooking to make sure the kernels are heated evenly, although I think you can just heat over medium heat and be just fine (this only applies to gas stoves).
  4. Keep cranking, even when you hear the glorious "pop!" of the kernels, and don't stop cranking until the popping slows such that 1 second passes and you do not here a "pop"!
  5. As soon as the popping is done, immediately transfer the popped kettle corn to a large bowl and stir it around to prevent extremely large clumps of popcorn sticking together.  You can use your hands to do this, but I usually use a spoon because the popcorn will be hot!
  6. Immediately, put the Whirley-Pop in the sink with a squirt of soap and some water, and allow time to soak while you eat your kettle corn.  Don't worry, putting the hot Whirley-Pop in the water won't break anything...it will simply make clean up MUCH EASIER.  Otherwise, all that sugar sticks to the bottom and I imagine would be a pain to clean.
  7. Eat, eat, and eat some more!
  8. Thank me for your at home, as good as a fair, kettle corn experience.

I should let you know, it is possible to make kettle corn on the stove in a standard pot.  I personally enjoy the Whirley Pop because it allows you to stir the popcorn to prevent sticking and burning on the bottom of the pan, all without taking the lid off the pot.  My husband tried to convince me the standard pot is just as great as a Whirley-Pop and we ended up with popcorn kernels all over the kitchen.  Neither of us could figure out the best way to stir the kernels while keeping the lid on the pot...  I won the battle to keep the Whirley-Pop, and deep down I think he is glad we kept it around!

Bon Appetit!!

3 comments:

  1. Yes! There are so many reasons to celebrate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I know this is an old blog post, but I used it for my inaugural Whirley Pop recipe today so I thought it was worth a try to write in. Have you found the Whirley Pop to be consistent? I bought it purely so I could stop buying expensive bagged kettle corn, and followed your recipe almost to the letter (just substituted half coconut oil, since I'd bought some) - but my popcorn came out pretty awful. The crank got too difficult to turn without forcing while the kernels were still popping, but WP says never to force it so I transferred to a cookie sheet, and the popcorn was in a gummy ball with an even smattering of uncoated pieces (whatever) and scorched pieces (HATE!). I thought you couldn't really burn popcorn in the WP! Not sure what I did wrong - not blaming your recipe :) - but really hoping I didn't move too soon buying this popper, since $20 is actually kind of a lot on my budget.

    ReplyDelete