Monday, December 19, 2011

A True Philly Cheesesteak

Today's adventure began about a year ago when I realized I had been to Philadelphia multiple times and still had not tried a true Philadelphia Cheesesteak.  Yes, I have had a "cheesesteak"in other parts of the country, but apparently they fail by comparison to a cheesesteak in Philadelphia. So over a year ago, my husband and I determined that the next time I was in Philadelphia we would make it a personal mission for me to eat a true cheesesteak.

Well, we are back in Philly for the holidays, and today we embarked on a mission to provide my tastebuds with the wonders of Philly Cheesesteaks.  First my Philly coaches instructed me on how to order a cheesesteak...I wouldn't want to agitate anyone in line behind me.  We determined I like onions but then I needed to decide what type of cheese I would get....this is where I ran into a problem.  I love provolone and I don't enjoy fake cheese, aka Cheez Whiz, BUT the big deal with Philly Cheesesteaks is the inclusion of the Whiz...what am I to do?  Provolone Wit or Whiz Wit?

If you know me well, you know I have issues making decisions about what to have for any meal...so having to decide between provolone and whiz was a BIG DEAL.  So to solve my problem I polled friends on Facebook...and although the majority said Wiz, my tummy was leaning toward provolone.

SO, we get to Tony Luke's and I decide to use my Philly Cheesesteak Newbie status to get 1/2 provolone wit and 1/2 wiz wit and was shot down.  Disappointment #1.  So I ended up ordering provolone wit.  Sad day for me, my sandwich arrived as a provolone witout...BUMMER.  Disappointment #2.  I assumed it would still be delicious but honestly, nothing striking.  So I try my sister-in-laws wiz witout and my husband's wiz wit...really, nothing amazing...  To make sure I was not losing my mind I have my husband try my sandwich to make sure I am not being picky.  He takes a bite, thinks about it, then looks at me and says, "You got screwed."

So there you go.  All this hype and no glory.  It was a let down and full but not satisfied.  I can see how a provolone wit has potential to be tasty, but still not worth all the talk.  Sorry Philly natives, I know you find pride in your cheesesteaks, but I can't say I enjoyed it.  I do love how emotionally connected Philadelphians are with their cheesesteaks, and I appreciate how protective they are of this glorified sandwich.  My first experience was a bust, but I haven't given up complete hope.  Next time around I will try John's Roast Pork in South Philly.  I was guaranteed a cheesesteak there is better than anywhere else.

On the plus side, my poor cheesesteak experience was followed up by a wonderful hoagie from Lenny's in Manyunk.  Now this is a place you need to try... Look for my next post about this delicious sandwich and a delicious brewery in downtown Philadelphia!

Bon Appetit and Bon Voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment