Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Curried Butternut Squash Soup


While I am on a curry kick, you MUST try this delicious curried butternut squash soup.  I found this recipe in the Colorado Classique cookbook and the two times I have cooked this I made some very slight, but hardly noticeable changes to the original recipe. 

This soup was a pleasant discovery because I have a bad habit of staying away from potato/squash/ pureed soups because
1. They often times use heavy cream and my unfortunately slow metabolism and I try to avoid heavy creams more often than not, and
2. They seem like much more work than broth based soups

Well, now that I have a handy dandy high tech food processor I can no longer find an excuse for not making delicious pureed soups....and as for the metabolism, that is what a treadmill is for! 
Please note, this soup does not actually use heavy cream (yes, good find Leah) but I felt the need to explain to you why I am turned off by creamier soups. 

Anyway, now that the first winter storm has hit the Colorado Front Range and Thanksgiving is somehow right around the corner, you should give this soup a try and thank me for providing you with an easy to prepare accompaniment to your Thanksgiving meal or just thank me for the comfort your body will feel when you consume this butternut deliciousness on a cold winter day.

Curried Butternut Squash Soup
Makes 6-8 portions. 45 minute Prep.  30 minutes cook time

Ingredients
  • 2.5 - 3 lbs of butternut squash, cooked until tender 
  • 4 T butter
  • 2 large shallots, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 T curry powder
  • 4 C chicken broth
  • Optional: grated white cheddar cheese (Colorado Classique garnishes with plain yogurt & mint)
Directions 

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Chop squash and place on rimmed baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 30 minutes.  (You can also cut the squash in half and cook in the microwave for 8-10 minutes cut side down, but I prefer the oven roasted flavor)
2. Meanwhile, prep other ingredients
3. When there is 5-10 minutes left on the squash, melt butter in a stockpot
 4. Add shallots, onions, garlic, and curry powder and saute for 5 minutes
5. Add cooked squash to the pot, add chicken broth and bring to a simmer
Cook for 30 minutes
6. Puree the soup in a blender or food processor, season to taste and garnish with white cheddar cheese, or with plain yogurt and mint
 7. Serve Hot...Of Course!!

The second time I made this I served it with green beans that were boiled, and tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, craisins, and sliced almonds.  Not a bad combination if I say so myself!

Bon Appetit!

1 comment: